The Plano East Panthers football team released its schedule for the 2021 football season.
The Panthers once again face a tough slate, as they take on seven playoff teams from last year over their 10 regular-season games. The playoffs team from last season on Plano East’s docket include Allen, Lake Highlands and Wylie in non-district play, and Lewisville, Plano West, Coppell and Marcus in district action. The schedule works out as follows:
- @ Highland Park, Friday, Aug. 20, 7 p.m. (Scrimmage)
- @ Allen, Friday, Aug. 27, 7 p.m. (Tom Landry Classic)
- vs. Lake Highlands, Friday, Sep. 3, 7 p.m.
- @ Wylie, Friday, Sep. 10, 7 p.m.
- Friday, Sep. 17 – Bye Week
- @ Hebron, Friday, Sep. 24, 7 p.m.
- vs. Lewisville, Friday, Oct. 1, 7 p.m.
- @ Plano West, Friday, Oct. 8, 7 p.m.
- @ Flower Mound, Friday, Oct. 15, 7 p.m.
- vs. Plano, Friday, Oct. 22, 7 p.m.
- @ Coppell, Friday, Oct. 29, 7 p.m.
- vs. Marcus, Thursday, Nov. 4, 7 p.m.
Plano East opens the season up by traveling to Allen High School. The Eagles beat the Panthers in the 2020 opener 49-26, before ultimately winning their first 10 games of the season and reaching the third round of the playoffs.
Following the first game, Plano East hosts Lake Highlands, who also went undefeated through their first 10 games before losing to South Grand Prairie in the opening round of the postseason.
Plano East ends the non-district slate by traveling to Wylie. The Pirates snuck into the postseason last year after a three-game winning streak in November was enough to reach the playoffs.
After a bye week, the Panthers will take on their district slate to cap off the season. They end the year with back-to-back games against Coppell and Marcus, the top two teams in the district last year.
Plano East finished the 0-9 in 2020, with developments on the offensive side of the ball. With returning talent across the board, particularly at the skill positions, the Panthers will hope to improve even further in 2021.
By Kyle Grondin • [email protected]