Wylie Police took a 13-year-old male into custody last week for terroristic threat after the student reportedly posted a threat of a shooting at Burnett Junior High School on the social media application Snapchat.
The police department received multiple reports on the threatening messages Tuesday, Feb. 27 and immediately launched an investigation to identify the origin of the threat, Sgt. Donald English said.
The message included a picture of a handgun and threatened a potential shooting at Burnett. Additional security measures were taken at the school to protect teachers and staff, English reported.
Officers took the 13-year-old into custody at 10:05 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 28 and transported him to Collin County Juvenile Detention Center.
“The Wylie Police Department will continue to proactively investigate any threats towards schools, whether they are meant as a joke, or not,” English said. “Parents are asked to remind children about the dangers of posting threats on social media.
By Sonia Duggan • [email protected]
For the full story see the March 8 issue or subscribe online.